Voice replacement

I made new recordings, but it is still a kind of test. I’m testing the sound and the animation elements. I don’t want to disturb the voice or the acting. I like that the atmosphere expands the room; something is going on in the background. A lot of the sound is not planned; for example, while recording sound from a dog there are licking his paw, I got traffic sound in the background. I like to explore the sound after recording, there is always something unplanned which are useful.

Voice replacement: Test recording

IMG_7784

I’m working on a new sequence.
I made a new poem out of my list of words, which is not a list but a pile of cutout words. By the law of chance, this text appeared (tried many others). For me, it has resonance, not directly to any of my dreams but to my life situation right now, for me it releases emotions.
I got the thoughts that I have made not just a list of “dream words” but a vocabulary to express myself in general.

I have to make another shooting session, my outcome is too blurry.
I’m very satisfied with the acting. It is interesting to have two characters at the same time. Looking forward to incorporating background and other painted elements.

 

A dog with extreme hearing and John Cage

img_7783.jpgYesterday I felt like a mix of a dog with extreme hearing and John Cage. I was outside in order to record sounds; the atmosphere, walk on gravel, birds, bikes, breath, etc. I borrowed a quite good Zoom recorder which captures almost every sound, sound I absolut not think about as a part of the background noise I can hear without the recorder. The experience emphasized the human ability to close the sense impression that you do not focus on – and the other way around (ex. start focusing on the wind a church bell etc). John Cage’s idea of silence and his thoughts about the sound of traffic came to my mind.

I recorded something but not all from my list. It is a good exercise to shapen the ears and getting some sound-expectations. The list is made purely by looking at my original twenty dream-images and trying to remember feelings and tension. The words are not the same as the list made for the poem, because the words have to be transformed into sound, like; hyperventilation
reverb from a staircase rise, cat spinning etc.
I’m not sure how I gonna use the sounds, but I’m sure that it pushes me deeper into understanding my project.

Print test of dream images

As a test, I printed out some different images, I wanted to see how they work as physical objects. I used a Plotter and uncoated paper.
The images with bright colours are working better than the two in the first colon. The saturated colours have a really good appearance. The two images from the first, colon have to be colour corrected before printing.

Status of video sequenses

It is time to make a status of the video material I have made.
When I started the voice replacement test, I had a kind of breakthrough; I saw the possibility of how to combine words, sound, live footage and animation.
The split-screen (triptych) seems as a great method to let different scenarios compliment each other and to drive the story forward.
My most important experience while making those sequences are the speed talking and thereby the acting. I found out that I have to slow down almost everything: the speak, the animation and the live footage. Repeating of sentence or words works fine in my fragmented dream universe.
The actors’ pause and movements play a bigger role than I first suspected. Many pauses slow down the speed and add in suspense. Body movements add in dynamics.
The idea with the replacement of voices allows the character to be old, young, a man, women, boy or girl at the same time, just like in dreams where the dreamer have all the roles. At the same time, the actors and voices are all family members, they are my genetic material it could be me as young or old, the similarity and my big family is a gift I want to take advantage of.
The use of text incorporated in the sequences takes too much focus from the images and sound. I still have to find out how to work with the text.
In one case I tested the use of music. I have the feeling of open a door to a field with endless solutions and emotions controlled by music. It could be really fine, but I have to find my own sound -way.
Using a reallocation as backgrounds work fine in the scene with the man on the beach, probably because he is standing there and the boy is running there. I do not think it works that well in the latest test (May 17th).
The recordings I made with fish worked really fine and have to be more present.

Next step is to start playing with projectors and sound.

Playing with cut out words

My entire list of words is 143. The words are based on the 20 dream images I made.
I have made some more test with the words:
Alphabetic order
Number of letters going from few letters to several
Ten columns (ten words on a line creates a poem).

It turned out very constructed, and I missed the magic. Then I printed the list and cut out the words and used the law of change by dropping them from a distance. I organised the words; in alphabetic order, and in order to make sense. But still, I felt it was too constructed.

With my smartphone, I made some recordings in slow-motion. The production value was too bad, but I could frame grab images during the sequence. The drop made the selection and at the same time, the drop made a composition which I found interesting.

IMG_7587.PNG

Voice replacement test now with atmosphere sound

I am testing the mixe of footage; dancing girl, scissors and the talking head. I am also testing the background sound. By repeating the same sound bites, it creates a rhythm without being music. It is a rhythm and a breath.
Maybe it is my direction to go, sound wise; using kind of non sound like a breath before a word, a footstep before it touches the ground etc.

A test of mixed footage on a real location.